Tuesday 11 November 2008

11/11

I am home! I have missed it, my little island called Britain. No matter how much an awesome time I had (which I did) I did miss it so - rain and all.

America is a lovely place, a bit weird but everyone I met was nice and genuine and made me feel happy and wanted, especially Kristina and all her flat mates, I will miss you all.

I will say that the language barrier was a problem. When I had my lay over in Amsterdam I genuinely felt more understood speaking to the Dutch compared with America where a cookie is a biscuit, a biscuit is a scone and scones don't exist.

I wanted to tell a little story that is completely unrelated though.

When I arrived in Manchester it was reaching 11 o'clock. Now, today was the eleventh of the eleventh and this day, every year, in the UK at least, there is a two minute silence to commemorate the people who layed down their lives for their country and people and their freedom in wars throughout history. So for two minutes every year the whole country grinds to a halt, women, children, men of all shapes, sizes and colours in a breif moment of unity. And it makes me so proud to be part of the human race.
The respect, the humility that is expressed with this anual ritual honestly blows me away every time and I am proud to be a part of it.
It feels kinda silly to say I am proud to be part of a two minute silence, but I am, ok! So there! *sticks out tongue*

I'm not sure how many other nations do this, I am pretty sure Japan don't because there was a Japanese woman at the airport wandering around with her trolley looking very confused as all the people stood still and silent. It made me chuckle.

There wasn't much point to this story, it's probably the jet-leg making me all sentimental.

Videos will come soon.

Oh and btw, got my hair cut, see it here.

I am also reading Barack's book 'The Audacity of Hope'. I like his writing style. He uses a lot of comas, like me! ^_^

5 comments:

Mannyerism said...

You look good with you hair cut!

Glad you had a great time here in the states! I agree with you though, England is so much cooler. Wish I was a Brit.

Though, you gotta come out here to sunny California too. It kinda rocks.

Unknown said...

Have you learned nothing? We do too have scones. They are hard to explain but they usually sell them in coffee shops.
I should have shown you.

I'm ready for you to come back, btw. :)

Barry Aldridge said...

Great Haircut Jazza. Im glad you had a great time in America.

thisisace said...

This is what happened to me after the 2 mins silence :-)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vng3Ed2sYwA

I'm reading Obama's book too. (In large print, as that was the copy I happened to see at my library !)

Zozo said...

Gosh! wish we had that tradition in the States, I will join you next year.

Ha, I know what you mean about the language barrier, when I went there people called you love when they were not in love with you, there was no such thing as a trash can, and people said cheers with out a wine glass in their hand.

Much love
Zozo